Saturday, August 29, 2009

Kendall

It all started about 11 days ago. Kendall woke up and seemed fine, I noticed though she didn't eat breakfast. I checked her head and low and behold she felt hot. Nothing new, dosed her up with Motrin and then 3 hours later dosed her up on Tylenol. We did this for the next 3 days. Durning this time she was very lathargic, she would not go up or down the steps and had no interest in playing with the others. By this time I was worried, this was unusual and my gut told me this is not an ordinary illness. We took her to Dr. Stone and based on the finger prick and the lack of symptoms she was showing he thought it was viral and would just have to run it's course! That was on a Friday and by Monday we were back in his office. Dr. Stone looked at her and then looked at me and said it seems it could be Kawasaki Disease, but I doubt it. I ran her over to the lab at Candler and they took 3 vials of blood and by 7pm that night the numbers were not good. Here was the problem, Kawasaki is diagnosed by observation of the patient and blood work based on a few tests. There is not a signal blood test for this disease. Kendall only had a couple of symptoms, they prefer 4 out of 5. To make things more complicated, her physical symptoms were improving. By Thursday we decided to admit her to the hospital and start treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment